Friday 9 November 2012

Once upon a party...


It all began with a party for my oldest daughter's  10th birthday... I didn't just want to load up on party supplies from the local party store. I wanted to put my own personal stamp on things and slowly but surely things spiralled out of control from there (but in a good way :)


 It started with the invitations which I made myself because I'm a scrapbooker and have a ton of paper and the supplies anyway. I couldn't decide on a specific design so I just free-styled and made a bunch of different ones.

As far as the party went I didn't have a specific theme for this party... just older girl fun. I found that so many of the games and party supplies are made for younger girls (under 10) so I had to do a bit of research to make a party that was fun and girly but not too  "kiddie"  for 10 and 11 year olds.  My daughter chose the colours and I took it from there.



There wasn't a lot of paper art yet, as this was my first foray into designing and creating my own party and I kept the decorations pretty simple for this one. Following the pink and purple colour scheme my daughter picked  I found picked up coloured bags for the game prizes  as well as coloured chinese take out containers for their lootbags.  We filled the take out containers with little nailpolishes, hairties, lipbalms and other girly things. We also gave away hot cocoa mix. I bought a big container of hot chocolate from costco and filled disposable, clear icing bags with enough for 4 servings. We topped it with mini marshmallows, tied with elastic bands and curling ribbon, and I hand made tags with the instuctions for how to make it. Unfortunately, I neglected to take photos because at the time I wasn't blogging or thinking of posting things on a party blog. Alas, my descriptions for this party will have to suffice.
Then I had to come up with some fun age appropriate games for girls 10 -11. (Which was surprisingly harder than I first anticipated).

We started with plain white canvas bags which they decorated with fabric paint.  Then painted little plaster masks that made fridge magnets (a kit I bought at the dollar store).

After that we played a few games.  First was a contest to see who could make the best outfit (complete with accessories) in 5 minutes from tin foil & masking tape. They had a lot of fun with that one and the
pictures were hilarious.

Then, we had a funkiest hairstyle contest.  We broke into 3 teams which consisted of one "model" and two hairstylists.  I bought new brushes, combs, hairties, and clips from the dollar store and at the end the "model" got to keep these and take them home.
We also had a spin the nailpolish bottle game where the girls would spin the nailpolish bottle and then that person would have to have one nail painted.  Somewhere in there we ate, and then did manicures to finish painting their nails while watching Alice in Wonderland.
The girls had a great time and the party was a smashing success!



No comments:

Post a Comment