Thursday 15 August 2013

Cecilia's baby shower

My cousin was expecting her first baby in March of 2013,  and I was happy to organize and do the decorations for her baby shower.  ( I say "was expecting" because I am so late in posting this that her beautiful baby girl is almost 5 months old now. Lol. Well better late than never).  I LOVE doing baby showers, they are just so much fun!

This post is purely about the decorations.  Once again, I didn't have our proper camera so the only pics I got were sort of bad lighting and taken with my i-phone. -sigh- I've got to get into the habit of bringing our DLSR camera to events. But it's just so BIG and bulky!  Such a pain once you're not snapping pics. And, I find I'm often scrambling to put up the decorations and organize all the activities that I don't have time to take photos. Alas, when I'm rich and famous I'll have to hire a professional photographer! :)  Until then, the blog-osphere will have to put up with my crappy iphone pics.

Anyway,  I tried something totally new with this one.  I made sugar cookie baby feet for giveaways for all the shower attendees, and used a piping/ flood icing technique I had just learned via Pinterest. (Can you tell I'm a pinterest addict!!??!!)

I think they turned out pretty well for my first try.  I did struggle with the dots for the toes. Getting them the right consistency and without air bubbles was a bit tricky at first but eventually I got the hang of it.




I made a diaper cake as my gift to the mom-to-be and as you can probably tell I chose pinks and white to be the theme colours. Classic but fun.





 These were the other baby shower favours that we gave to everyone at the baby shower. Tissue paper dahlias filled with gourmet jelly beans.














I handmade the tags using pink cardstock and small baby feet punches
















Surrounding the diaper cake I made an area for all the shower attendee's to write a message to the baby for future (and to give the parents a few laughs in the meantime.)  I also had small card stock hearts that people could write advice to the expectant parents. They could then hang their message on the lines in between the paper diaper shirts, for the duration of the shower, but the hearts could also easily be placed in baby's photo album or scrapbooks as momentos.







This is the butterfly mobile I made to hang above the mom-to-be's chair.




Here's a closer look at the baby shower banner and the diaper shirt banner.







It's hard to see but in the diaper shirt banner, all the diaper shirts had rhinestone buttons and made them super cute!




The games were a whole different thing, and I could probably fill a whole other blog just about those, so I'll leave it for now.  It was a pretty and girly baby shower that I think everyone had a good time at. So that's it for this post, all the ideas are simple and easy to replicate but pull together to make a fun and memorable shower. I hope this served to inspire.


No comments:

Post a Comment